Monday, October 28, 2013

The security certificate presented by this website is not secure - IE10

I had a problem with Internet Explorer 10 when going to a untrusted site in my case, my local vCenter server to download vSphere, I got an error "The security certificate presented by this website is not secure".  Usually you are able to click "Continue to this website (not recommended)" however in Internet Explorer 10 this option was no longer available.


After some research I came across Microsoft KB2661254 which mentions this is due to the minimum key length of the certificate being less then 1024 which in this case it will be blocked.  This Microsoft KB article can be found on the following site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2661254

After reviewing the default VMware certificate generated on the vSphere server, I verified that the certificate key length was only 512 as shown in the following screenshot.


As a result following the advice from Microsoft on KB2661254 I lowered the required certificate key length to 512 using the following command from an administrative command prompt:

certutil -setreg chain\minRSAPubKeyBitLength 512



After making this change, I was able to continue past the certificate warning as normal and download my vSphere client.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for this! It's helped me with a a public wifi site that I regularly use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really saved my day... Thank you Clint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thnx for explanation and saved time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete